Thursday, January 13, 2011

Off topic Thurday - bedwetting & cloth diapers by Daniel Creations



As some of you know, I cloth diaper. My son has been potty trained & in underwear since before he turned 2, but at 5 he is still wet on occasion at night, because he is a deep sleeper like I was. I wet the bed when I was a girl too... until I was 12. Even though folks don't talk much about it, bed wetting is more common than you think, and is nothing to be ashamed of. I was made to feel ashamed as a child, but all that did was make me feel terrible for something that was beyond my control. Did you know that...
  • 15% of children still wet the bed at age 5 (that's one out of every 7 kindergartners!)
  • 7 to 10% of children still wet the bed at age 7 (that's one out of every 10 2nd graders!)
  • 3% of boys and 2% of girls still wet the bed at age 10
Even with these statistics, it has become increasingly harder to find any "pull-up" style cloth diapers that will fit my son at night. Even people that have said they can make them to my needs, can't seem to make them big enough. It also seems that all the options out there have pul (plastic laminated cloth). My son can't wear anything with plastic. Because of his sensitive skin, he will get a heat rash from plastic, and can only use cloth with wool.

That is why I want to sing the praises of Daniel Creations! Karen custom made some cloth pull ups for me, and they are above and beyond what I wanted! The fabrics & quality are fantastic, and the measurements are exactly what I asked for (thanks, Karen!), and they are so soft. She even made them like a pocket diaper, with thick & absorbent inserts. My son would only need the smaller of the 2, but they snap together & would be enough absorbency for the even the heaviest of night wetters.

She makes all kinds of cloth diapers, baby accessories, and even reusable sandwich wraps, so I highly recommend checking out her Artfire shop!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am in the saem boat as you, Wednesday has been out of daytime (cloth) diapers since she was about two? But We just ditched the nighttime cloth a few weeks ago. And not because I felt she should (We have a family bed and nothing wrecks a good night sleep like a back full of warm pee) but because she was done. She protested so vehemently against the diaper that I began a strict regimen of no liquids after 7:30 (her bedtime is 9) and a pee break after stories before we lay down. It has worked, but like times like yesterday when she went out with daddy around her liquids cut off, she peed the bed. And I knew it would happen, I slept pretty lightly last night lol. I like the idea of cloth pull ups but I am so done investing in a cloth stash lol. I am currently trying to figure out if I can get anything for my very big, but heavily used stash as it is. Ok, I am done rambling in your comment box. Great post though!

Heather said...

Ooh, these are nice! Karen's craftsmanship (craftswomanship?) is out of this world, too!